Do you need editorial assistance?
Final Proof is here to help.
Final Proof edits and proofreads your content before it goes to publication and provides you with suggestions and changes to correct or improve it. We edit your material for consistency and correctness to ensure its content, language, style, and design suits its purpose and meets the needs of its audience.
The overall goal for any of Final Proof’s services is to edit and proofread for correctness, accuracy, consistency, and completeness and to make all changes without altering its intended meaning or introducing errors.
Your documents are copyedited and proofread in accordance with Editors Canada Professional Editorial Standards. These standards are based on the knowledge, skills, and practices most commonly required for editing English-language material.
Final Proof will do rewrites from draft content and can address other publication stages or tasks such as writing, developmental editing, marketing, promotion, and project management.
For copyedited and proofread material:
- a realistic schedule is set and maintained
- appropriate editorial intervention is defined and applied
- legal and ethical issues are identified and addressed
- common editing resources — including software and reference materials relevant to editing — are used competently and efficiently
- edits are clearly communicated for capturing in the production process
Ensures correctness, accuracy, consistency, and completeness and includes:
- editing for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage
- checking for consistency and continuity of mechanics and facts, including anachronisms, character names, and relationships
- editing tables, figures, and lists
- notifying designers of any unusual production requirements
- developing a style sheet or following one that is provided
- correcting or querying general information that should be checked for accuracy
- Canadianizing or other localizing
- checking front and back matter and cover copy
- checking web links
Proofreading ensures your document’s final draft is completely free of grammatical errors such as subject-verb agreement problems, incorrect word choices, improper punctuation usage, and incorrect spelling. Formatting, typography, and visual elements are also reviewed to ensure accuracy and consistency.
Proofreaders examine the material after layout or in its final format to correct errors in textual and visual elements. Proofreading is checking a work after editing and is not a substitute for editing.
Whenever possible, content is proofread in its intended medium.
Final Proof edits and updates web page content, including text, images, and links, including:
- checking the links to ensure they point to the correct places
- checking that link text accurately reflects the link’s destination
- reorganizing or revising print copy for the web
- editing web copy
- proofreading final websites and checking for consistency on all site elements
- identifying potential copyright issues